Tuesday

Managing Taking Turns in the Classroom

I just love how enthusiastic little learners are to volunteer in the classroom! What I don't love is their waving and begging hands as these little learners indicate their willingness to help. And I find it even more difficult to see their disappointed faces when they are not chosen. To keep it fair and encourage even the shyest little learner to participate, I like to use systems in the classroom to manage taking turns.


For this system I bought some little white boxes from the cheap shop. I split the class into gender groups, but you could use the whole class or group the students according to reading groups etc. depending on your needs. Then I simply typed each little learner's name, cut to size and placed in the box. When a volunteer is needed in the classroom, simply choose the top name from the box and call their name. Then place that name at the bottom of the pile. Because I have two groups, I then place that box to the bottom, so I know which box I am choosing from next time (anyone else suffer from amnesia in the classroom at times?). To keep the suspense, I also like to include a colored paper at the beginning to mark when each child has had a turn. This way I can shuffle the names after one rotation (or a couple) and the little learners don't get to know the order.


This is just one of many systems I have used to keep those little faces smiling and the classroom running smoothly. Would love to hear how you manage turn taking in your classroom!



6 comments:

  1. This is a great idea and should really help avoid sad faces in the classroom.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea, Jean. Cute and very usable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! Sometimes simply really is the best!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use the mark register and go in alphabetical order or use the children who have submitted completed home assignments as a reward.

    ReplyDelete